Thursday, June 14, 2007

Something To Live In

In Exodus 3, God comes to Moses in a burning bush--a bush that is on fire, but isn't being burned up--and calls Moses to go back to Egypt. There's something more significant than the fact that Mo was supposed to go back: God reveals himself. Mo asks him, "what do I tell them, when they ask me 'who sent you?'" God answers, "tell them I AM sent you."

God calls himself I AM. The Hebrew for this is YHWH ("Yahweh"). This is the most holy name in the Old Testament--faithful Jews say the Hebrew word for "Lord" when they see this word, because they don't want to risk defaming it by speaking it. It is that holy, still. Don't throw that name around. But it means, basically, "I AM."

That is still God's name, today. God IS. The most basic temptation in all the world, one that existed when Adam and Eve were tempted to eat the fruit, is the temptation to think or live as though God ISN'T. If God IS, how will that impact how you live today?

Live in it. God is. Not only IS he, but he speaks. He reveals himself to us. Stop for a moment and hear his voice, speaking quietly to you: I AM. I AM. I AM.

1 comment:

  1. hey, this is kinda lame...myspace is tight, thats why i started nc3firestarters.blogspot.com. haha check it...

    ReplyDelete