Monday, March 28, 2011

Poet Recommendations?

After preaching on the power of words (I'll post a link soon), I have a strong desire to get back into reading great poetry (and hopefully writing a bit.  What I've posted recently isn't what I'm looking for)... but the world of poetry is huge, so I'm looking for recommendations.  Either of poets, poems, or collections.

Also, it's likely that sometime this week I will move this blog from here to Littleton Christian Church's new website (which should be up and running in the next 24-36 hrs).  I'll make sure to over-communicate that when it happens.  Most of you come here through the links I put on facebook, so I'm thinking you won't really care where it is.  Just an FYI.  

4 comments:

  1. Mary Oliver. Our pastor, Tad, has been quoting her a lot in his sermons. She's awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Certainly the greatest poetry is in the Psalms, but 2 longtime favorite poems of mine are:
    1. "The World is Too Much With Us" by
    William Wordsworth
    2. Sonnet CXVI which starts out "Let me not to the marriage of true minds.... by
    Willam Shakespeare
    One of my favorite lines in that last poem is
    "Love is not love which alters when it alteration finds..."
    I memorized these in college many years ago but never forgot them.
    Love ya Mike
    Love your blog
    jackie griesemer

    ReplyDelete
  3. Charles Bukowski. Nick Flynn. That's who I'm reading lately as far as poets. Really like both of them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much, Zach, Jackie and Kevin! I've looked into most of your recommendations now, and am really enjoying all of them.

    ReplyDelete