Monday, January 24, 2011

Why Wisdom, pt. 2: Words for the Simple

I've given my answer for why we need wisdom ("Why Wisdom").  How about Proverbs' answer?  The prologue to proverbs, 1:2-6, gives just that.  Below is my very novice attempt to translate the passage.  Please keep in mind that my Hebrew skills are very rudimentary.   It's important to get a feel, though, for the repetitive use of words.  The amazing scholars who translate this for the TNIV, NRSV, ESV, NLT, NASB,  and so many others 1) understand Hebrew grammar - unlike me, and 2) draw out the intricacies of context and flow.  The result is that you don't see how the original script used the same words or ideas over and over.  Take a look.  This is Proverbs 1:2-6.

To know wisdom and instruction. 
To understand speech and understanding. 
To receive instruction in prudence, righteousness, justice, and evenness. 
To give craftiness to the simple, knowledge and discretion to the young.
Let the wise hear and add instruction, Let the understanding buy counsel, 
to understand a proverb and a satire, words of the wise and their riddles.

There it is, the purpose of Proverbs, in the words of Proverbs, in the translation of Mike (borrowing from NRSV when I was stuck):  To know, to understand, to receive, to give.  Proverbs will not claim to present the truth through promises or commands, but rather to make observations on the world that seem to be generally true.  It is designed to give people one of the most important skills of human life: what you do with all the words you hear, read, and say every day.  Words hide things.  Words sway.  Words are at the heart of ideas.  Words draw our emotions along: how many have felt the power of saying something out loud, either to reveal it as false, or remember that it is true?

I love also that everyone is included.  The wise, the understanding, and the simple.  The simple are my favorite, maybe because I identify with them.  They are unformed, their decisions will either lead to wisdom or folly, to righteousness or evil.  The fool, according to proverbs, is there by choice, and the fool can always choose to go back to being simple, in order to then become wise.

I'm testing this thought in my head, and I'd love your insight: one of the core ingredients to wisdom is considering oneself simple, and being teachable from there

2 comments:

  1. I think your last comment is spot on! I would almost say that considering oneself simple actually leads to being teachable. It's when we presume complexity that we lose our ability to be touched by wisdom. Yah?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. It seems to go along with what Jesus said about being like little children to enter the kingdom.

    ReplyDelete