Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Neutral

My mind has been trained, through relentless practice, to be in neutral.  As I discussed a couple posts ago, I chose on December 28, 2010 to abstain from giving my solo time to mind numbing and purposeless activities.  This abstention from the downhill slopes that my mind has come to depend on for movement (tv shows, sports news, any computer game that is "solo," etc.) has been difficult.  I'm over one month into it, and still feel I'm in detox.  I still have to wrestle my mind into productive action, I still have to choose to be in a state of prayer, or to open any one of the many books that glimmered in my desired future when I was first inspired to this abstention.

Though it would be better if I were, I suspect I'm not alone. The capacity and ability of your mind to learn, to pray, to affect the non-physical and the physical world around you, is such that the moments of "neutral" ought to feel to us like priceless diamonds that have just slipped into the ocean.

In the words of the Flobots (and many others): "there's a war going on for your mind."  I'm not sure where they're coming from philosophically, but they are absolutely right with this observation.  All these distractions, all these things which promise rest and never deliver, they are part of a plot that is moving things constantly from order to disorder.

Here is my intention, and my invitation: abstain and engage.   What do you need to turn off or block in order to have the "bandwidth" to engage things that really matter? 

2 comments:

  1. So glad you brought the Flobots into this. I love them. I totally understand the "war" in your mind. I too battle daily. Usually I can kick my own butt with one statement (if I choose to say it). "You're missing out on..." Your son. Your daughter. Your husband. Your God.

    P.S. I have no idea who the Flobots are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You don't know the Flobots??! Okay... they are slightly obscure, but I can totally picture the B-Man strumming his gee-tar singing "I can ride my bike with no handlebars, no handlebars, no handlebars." But, your statement is right. "You're missing out on [relationship]." what a crazy situation we find ourselves in, where we can convince ourselves that the empty entertainment is better than the depth of relationship that's always available!

    P.S. Yes, I had to click your blog to figure out who you are. Didn't know you had a blog. Great pics!

    ReplyDelete